Classification of Students
A registered student is an individual who has:
- been granted admission to a Columbia College pre- career or professional program;
- been registered according to the procedures applicable to the program;
- paid all required registration fees for the applicable period.
Registered student status shall also be accorded to Sponsored Students, Visiting Students, and Auditing Students in Professional programs in which they have satisfied the individual program registration requirements.
The status of the registered student is subject to the student maintaining an appropriate grade point average and adhering to applicable academic and department policies. This status terminates with the student’s withdrawal from the program for any reason or at the end of the latter of:
- the last day of instruction or examination;
- the end of the last day of any supervised co- operative education, work experience or practicum.
Registered students fall into the following two categories:
- Full-time students – i.e., An individual who applies for, is selected, and is registered to take all courses listed in the specific Pre-Career/Professional section found in this calendar as per the full-time course delivery schedule.
- Part-time students – i.e., An individual who may be allowed to enroll in one or more courses within a program. He/she may not be required to go through the same formal selection process as Full-time and therefore is classified as a Part-time student. The student may be allowed to enroll in up to 50% of the courses in a program; however, the student will not be able to enroll in any further courses in a professional program unless the student goes through the formal selection process. When the student is successfully accepted into a program he/she will be granted credit for all courses at a “C” grade or higher that he/she previously completed at Columbia College.
A Visiting Student is a registered student in another institution and has received permission in advance to take specific courses at Columbia College.
A visiting student will only be registered once all regular students have been accommodated.
An Audit Student is a registered student who is taking one or more course(s) under the following conditions:
- will not write any examinations or be evaluated;
- will not receive credit for the courses taken;
An audit student will only be registered once all regular students have been accommodated.
Individuals who discontinued their education for any reason and wish to re-apply for admission to Columbia College must complete a new application and provide any relevant documents as per Columbia College’s readmission policy. Approval to proceed in the process of readmission to Columbia will be determined by the Readmission Committee established by the Office of the Registrar and attended to by the Registrar, Program Chair or designate and the Manager of Student Services or designate.
Students From Other Canadian Provinces
Individuals who received secondary education outside Alberta must have achieved academic standing equivalent to that required by applicants from Alberta. Information concerning Alberta’s academic equivalencies is presented in the following chart.
Medical and Other Requirements
All students must meet the medical and/or other specific requirements outlined in their specific educational program section of this calendar.