This program serves recent immigrants to Alberta by helping them learn the English language skills needed to live, find employment, and study in Canada. Students of different English proficiency levels can progress at their own rate, with the support of experienced ELL teachers. This program is also available to those individuals who have been in Canada for a while but need to improve their language skills to gain Canadian citizenship.
Students are assessed by Immigrant Language and Vocational Assessment-Referral Centre in Calgary(ILVARC). After assessment, students can contact Columbia College and arrange to come in for registration. If a student is changing schools, you should bring certification of Benchmarks at registration. Upon completion of LINC, students may continue their education in the English as a Second Language Program at Columbia College, or they may pursue their post-secondary education elsewhere, while some may choose to go directly to employment. Columbia College also offers many professional programs for students who have achieved CLB 7 & 8.
Limited daycare seats for newcomer children (ages 12 months to 5 years) are available.
The main goal of the program:
- Acquire conversation skills needed in everyday life, improve reading/writing/listening/speaking skills and correct grammar and pronunciation.
- To assist students to learn about Canadian culture, jobs in Canada or prepare for further education by improving English language skills.
- Introduce students to the use of computers.
- Assist students with pronunciation and accent reduction as needed.
- Classes scheduled from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm. Monday to Friday
- Attend for a minimum of 22.5 hours per week in order to be considered a full-time student.
- Seminars on learning strategies and styles, resume writing, interview skills, and information on how to live and work in Canada.
- Progress measured by using the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs).
- Ongoing intake every Monday. This means you can start your classes at any time. If there is not a seat available, you will be placed on a waiting list and we will call you as soon as we have a seat for you.
- We offer Career and Employment Counselling.
- Tutoring available as needed.
- CLB Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- Pre-Employment/Employment Work Strategies Workshops
- Computer Applications
- 18 years or older
- Permanent Resident or Individual with Refugee status
Canadian Citizens are not eligible.
Course List and Descriptions
For a full list of courses and course descriptions for this program, please click here.
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada is made possible by the funding from Citizenship Immigration Canada.
There is continuous intake as space is available.
How to Register
- Go to Immigrant Services Calgary (ILVARC) to get a language assessment (CLB).
- Call or drop-in to find out about Columbia College’s LINC program.
- Register for classes at the College. Bring your landing papers. Help is available when filling out an application form.
- If there is a wait list, your name will be added and the College will call you as soon as a seat is available in the classroom.