Many traditional libraries are places of books and resources that are quickly out-dated. Columbia College supports the use of online sources that contain current and developing information from around the world. Help is provided by our staff located in Bldg. 802-122.
For Bookstore Information Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Columbia College Bookstore Services Purpose Statement
Bookstore Services provides essential services to the College community with the goal of assisting, supporting, and guiding those with information needs.
Columbia College Bookstore Beliefs and Values
We believe that:
- Every learner has the right to seek and receive guidance and assistance in locating information and resources as they may need to successfully complete assignments and other learning activities.
- A successful relationship between bookstore staff and College stakeholders rests on mutual respect and collaboration.
- Faculty support is important in helping to assure that all faculty have the necessary resources and materials needed to their jobs well.
- The bookstore serves to provide instruction and guidance in helping learners develop competency in research and the development of critical thinking.
Columbia College Bookstore Vision
The bookstore will continue to evolve to provide necessary supports to its stakeholders as these are identified and requested, reflecting the continual changing nature of the information age and impact of technology on learning services.
Student Learning Support Services
Places for Quiet Study
Columbia College believes in the full use of its classrooms and labs for student and work purposes. If you see a room that is closed and no one is there, please ask a staff member to open it. If a class is scheduled to come into the room, please oblige by leaving.
Places for Group Work
May be booked by emailing email@example.com and providing information as to the date space is required, time of day/evening and number of people. Maximum time provided is 2 hours. Please note that classroom space may be shared.
Free tutoring is provided for ESL students on a drop-in basis. For other programs, Department Chairs/Directors may request such service through the Coordinator Student Further Education or arrange for tutoring for a student. A fee may be assessed.
Computers are available in buildings 4, 803, and 805 for your use, as well as various software to help you develop keyboarding skills, basic academic skill improvement, and necessary programs to help you complete assignments.
Using Your Laptop computer or mobile device
Students, faculty and staff can access the internet using the College network with their laptop or other wifi-enabled device. Wireless network coverage is available in all buildings.
How to get connected
To gain access to the wireless network in all buildings, please select ‘COLUMBIA_Guest’. The password is available from Bldg. 802-Main Office and the Bookstore 802-122. If you plan to use your laptop or personal electronic device in class, please make sure it is fully charged when coming to class.
Research databases are available to help you search for information through thousands of journals, periodicals and articles. These are available to use at home with internet connection. Ask the bookstore staff in 802-122 how to use these resources. The following are available for your use:
Nursing and Allied Health Source
Provides reliable healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and more.
- Total sources covered (over 1,070 titles)
- Full text journals (over 890 titles)
- Dissertations (over 12,300 full-text)
- Nursing Reference E-books
Find coverage for over 70 wide-ranging topics including:
- Cytology, Nursing, Nutrition, Oncology, Pediatric Care, Pharmacology, Public Health, Radiology
Includes leading nursing and related publications:
- Association of Operating Room Nurses. AORN Journal
- Journal of Nursing Scholarship
- Oncology Nursing Forum
- Journal of Gerontological Nursing
- Journal of Psychosocial Nursing & Mental Health Services
- Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research
- Physical Therapy
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Rehabilitation
- The Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy
- Journal of Allied Health
- Applied Radiology
- Clinical Laboratory Science
- Dental Assistant
- Canadian Journal of Respiratory Therapy
Canadian Business and Current Affairs (CBCA)
This database focuses on business periodicals covering Canada and Canadian issues. Key areas are: Canadian Business, Canadian Finance, and Canadian economics. There are more than 4.5 million records, 1,655 titles, and over 500 periodicals and daily news sources. You can access business news publications like The Economist and the Wall Street Journal.
Examples of journals:
Journal of International Business Studies
Journal of Retailing
The Journal of Economic Perspectives
The Accounting Review
MIT Sloan Management Review
Supply Chain Management
GALE InfoTrac Custom Journals
- Over 500 journals
- Current content
- Full-text articles
- Social Work
Britannica Encyclopedia – online
This information source provides access to high quality and comprehensive information.
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary and Thesaurus – with audio pronunciation
- Magazines and periodicals – over 700 titles
- E-books and Primary sources – tens of thousands
- Interactive World Atlas
Citation Help & Research Help
The following are recommended sources for college research papers.
APA Cheat Sheet Page
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association – 6th Edition
The Purdue Owl: APA Style – https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
American Psychological Association – http://www.apastyle.org/