The Columbia Learning Society
To help individuals, Columbia College established an independent and separate non-profit society called The Columbia Learning Society. The Society’s principle aim is to provide bursaries to children and adults who wish to attend workshops, seminars, courses or programs at Columbia College.
The Columbia Learning Society has been active since September 2002. To date, over 4500 adults and children utilized bursaries to attend classes, workshops or tutoring sessions at Columbia College.
Free Saturday Workshops
Each Saturday (excluding holiday weekends) from October through March, The Columbia Learning Society offers free workshops from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm. These workshops cover a variety of topics such as computer applications training, communication skills, study skills, and other topics. Please click on the event links below to register.
Workshops will be listed here for online registration when the new season begins in the fall.
If you would like to be included on our mailing list and be notified when the new workshops are being offered, please email email@example.com with the subject “CLS mailing list”. You will then receive an email when the workshops are posted and will receive one each month for the upcoming workshops. You can unsubscribe from the list at any time.
Rules and Regulations for Workshop Attendance
- All participants must register to attend any workshop.
- Participants need to be 16 years of age or older to attend any workshop.
- To be fair to others wishing to attend our workshops, we ask that participants who wish to repeat a workshop they have previously attended, wait one year to do so.
- You must have registered and attended (or be proficient with) the Introduction level workshop before you can register for an Intermediate level workshop. Also, you must have registered and attended (or be proficient with) the Introduction and Intermediate level workshops before you can register for an Advanced level workshop.
- Please do not register for a workshop unless you know that you will be able to attend it. If there is more than one workshop scheduled on the same day, you can only register and attend one workshop.
- Registration will be on a first come, first served basis.
- If the workshop is full at time of registration, you will be placed on a waiting list. If you are on a waiting list, you will be informed of your status a few days before the workshop is due to be held.
- You must be on time for the workshop. Participants that are more than 5 minutes late, will not be allowed to enter the workshop. (Note: If you are taking public transit, please check the weekend schedule carefully, as it is different from the weekday schedule.)
Right to Refusal:
- The Columbia Learning Society reserves the right to withhold registration or attendance at any of its workshops to anyone it feels will not contribute or benefit from the workshop.
- Please be respectful of other people’s time and commitment. If you need to cancel your registration, you must provide 48 hours notice (i.e. we must receive your cancellation by Wednesday night).
- If you fail to show up for a workshop without cancelling your registration, you will not be able to attend another workshop for one month. If you are already registered for any workshops within that month, your name will be removed.
- If you fail to show up for two workshops without cancelling your registration, you will not be able to attend any workshops in the remaining current schedule. If you are already registered for any workshops within that timeframe, your name will be removed.