Human services profession is a broadly defined one. The field aims at improving the quality of life by serving humanity. These professionals are responsible for meeting people’s mental, social, and emotional needs and provide physical assistance to help them lead a better life. This is done by executing methods for prevention as well as remediation of problems. To serve in the best manner, human services professionals are required to have knowledge of cultural, political, and economic structures and their effect on human behavior. They help assist individuals, families, and communities to lead a quality life.
At Columbia College Calgary, we offer a human services professional diploma program to those willing to serve humanity in different ways. The program is a 1-year diploma that combines theory and practicum. The 300-hour practicum exposure and 28-hour in-class practicum workshops offer a chance to experience what you learned in the real world. This experience adds value to your credentials and increases your potential for employment. Anyone interested in pursuing a career as a human services professional can apply for the program. To do so, you need to meet certain admission requirements and write an assessment test. The eligibility criteria for the program include –
- You must be a minimum of 19 years old and out of high school for a year, OR you must be 18 years old with a Canadian grade 12 high school diploma
- If English is your second language you must have a Canadian Language Benchmark Level 8
- You are required to submit the Columbia College application
- Achieve an acceptable score on the Columbia College assessment
- Current Police Security Clearance with Vulnerable Sector Search and clear Child Intervention Record Check prior to starting the program
- First Aid and CPR Training Level C prior to starting the practicum, i.e. by the end of the first semester
- An admission interview to determine suitability for the profession and possibility for success in the program
Once you meet these conditions you are eligible to apply for the program. Even if you fail to meet all of the eligibility criteria, we may be able to help you meet the requirements. Moreover, if you are or have worked in the field, the Prior Learning Assessment Recognition recognizes this and you may not need to take up all of the courses.
So, if you seek to develop a career in the field, the human services professional diploma program is a good start. You can reap several benefits by enrolling for the human services diploma program offered by Columbia College Calgary. Apart from the course structure and the extensive exposure, the employment services we offer can help you secure a good opportunity. The accelerated yet detailed program in human services is a great option for you to excel in your career. Apply now!