English as a Second Language
Our ESL programs offers you the opportunity to choose your pathway and achieve your career goal. You can develop the communications skills needed for living, working, and learning in an English speaking environment. You can achieve a promotion at your place of work.
Our classes are small so you easily get the attention of your facilitator.
Alberta Human Services Grant funding may be available for both full-time and part-time eligible students.
- full-time day classes – 4.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday – total of 22.5 hours per week
- Hours: 9:30 am – 2:00 pm
- ESL classes are available from Basic Literacy to Advanced ESL.
- Small classes (average size of 15 students)
- Tutoring support available – individual, group, and in-class
- Career advising for short-term and long-term planning
- Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Grammar, Numeracy (Math)
- Pronunciation and Speech Clarity
- Communication & Presentation Skills Course
- Writing Enhancement Course
- Computer courses
- English for Academic Purposes Courses
- Work Strategies & Work Experience Courses
- Integrated Computer Study into all classes – scheduled computer classes
Click Here to see a list of Faculty Members for this course.
- Students may be evaluated by Immigrant Language and Vocational Assessment Referral (ILVARC) to determine placement in the program
Take a Columbia College ESL Assessment
- Permanent Residents or Convention Refugees must go to LINC classes (Language Instruction for Newcomers – Columbia College offer these classes for CLB 2-6. You must successfully complete CLB 5 before you can apply to an ESL program. This does not apply to anyone interested in applying to our Employment Training Programs.
Course List and Descriptions
For a full list of courses and course descriptions for this program, please click here.
Columbia College ESL Evening Courses – Choose Your Path!
Our evening ESL courses give you the opportunity to come to school in the evening and gradually make progress in enhancing your English language skills. We will give you strategies to practice every day! A free language assessment is given on the first day of classes, so you will know what to work on.
We offer courses (CLB 4-8) in Listening and Speaking; Reading/Writing/Grammar; Pronunciation and Speech Clarity. These are fee payer courses at competitive rates. Click here to see more information and to see what course or courses will fit you the best.
Start Dates (Day Program)
New semesters begin each:
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I start school?
There are 3 main semester intakes: January, May, and September.
What are class times?
Students enrolled in full-time studies will go to classes for 4.5 hours per day from Monday to Friday. Class times may be scheduled between 9:30 am – 2:00 pm.
Part time funded classes are available during the day and in the evening. Evening classes are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:30 pm—9:00 pm.
How many people are in a class?
On average, class sizes range from 15-22 students in each class.
How long will the application process take?
The application process, including the assessment, career planning appointment, and advisor appointments, usually takes approximately 8 weeks for funding approval.
How do I pay for school?
Most students attending classes will apply for and receive grant funding from the Government of Alberta.
Your Admission Advisor will assist you in applying for funding.
Is there a student orientation?
Yes, all students are required to attend an orientation session, which is held before your classes start.
Is there an assessment to get into ESL?
For ESL, you may be required to write an ESL assessment to help place you at the correct CLB level. Some students may enter with ILVARC CLB’s already. Columbia College will assess your Math and Grammar levels.
What is the advantage in taking English for Academic Purposes (EAP)?
If you want to enter one of Columbia College’s professional programs, our EAP program may be all that you need to meet English entry requirements. Ask about this advantage!
For more information…
For more information, please Contact Us…
Apply Now for your program of choice.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 1
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self