Employment Training – Child Care Attendant
This program is for individuals who want to be employed as childhood educator assistants or lunch room supervisors in nursery schools, preschools, childcare centres, day homes, community centres or the Calgary Board of Education. Some examples of jobs: Day Care Worker, Family Day Home Provider, Early Childhood Instructor, and Early Childhood Educator.
Child Care Assistants Earn: $11 – $21/hr.
Columbia College’s Employment Training programs are designed to prepare students for employment in different sectors of the economy. Through an Admissions Interview and Career Planning appointment, you will receive help reaching your career and employment goal. This is an excellent program for those who have completed ESL and/or have reached satisfactory levels of LINC study.
This is a 32 week or 48 week program.
Entry Requirements: CLB 4, 5+ and mathematical skills grade 3+
- Get Academic Upgrading in Essential Skills English, Math, and Computers.
- Study occupation specific modules to prepare for work experience
- Get training in:
- Occupation specific vocabulary
- Workplace language, culture and communications
- Customer Service
- Work Strategies
- Work experience placement – up to 6 weeks
- Career and Job placement support from Employment Specialist/Job Coach.
- Certificates in: WHMIS, Alberta Health Services Food Safety, CPR and First Aid.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be awarded a Child Development Assistant (formally Level 1) from Alberta Children and Youth Services and a Columbia College Child Care Assistant Certificate (must achieve minimum course requirement of 70% or higher in each course).
Course List and Descriptions
For a full course list and descriptions for the Employment Training Department programs, please click here.
Tuition Fees and General Fees
Full-Time Enrollment Costs
This program is funded by Alberta Human Services. Students may be eligible to receive financial assistance to attend full-time. Courses are also offered on a user-fee basis. Please contact the Student Admission Advisor at 403-235-9300 for further details. For more information about tuition and the Columbia College Tuition chart, please see the Tuition and Fees page.
- Apply for admission by filling out an application form. The form may be submitted by email, fax, mail, or apply online. Please see Admissions for more details.
- An Admissions Advisor will contact you with the necessary information.
2015 Program Employment Rate Average: 71%
As our graduates continue to seek employment, we will help them with this process.
Students who successfully complete their educational goals as set out in their Individual Student Service Plan will receive a Certificate of Program Completion. They will also be invited to attend the College Convocation ceremony.
For more information…
For more information, please Contact Us…
Apply Now for your program of choice.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self