Employment Training – Child Care Assistant
Compare your Experience
Click here to learn more about how your experience at Columbia College would be different from most post secondary institutions.
This program is for individuals wanting to work with children in nursery schools, childcare centres, day homes, community centres or the Calgary Board of Education.
Examples of entry level jobs include: day care assistant, day home provider, bus attendant, lunchroom supervisor, child minder, and Early Childhood Educator.
Child Care Assistants Earn: $15.00 – $17.50 per hour to start.
Employers of Graduates
The following is a list of organizations that have hired graduates of this program:
- Calgary Immigrant Education Society
- Children’s Choice Community Child Care Services
- Hawkwood Childcare Centre
- Heartland Agency and Educational Services
- Hillhurt Sunnyside Community Association
- Tiny Tots Daycare & Preschool Inc.
- We Care Daycare & Out of School Care
- Columbia College Child Care Centre
CLB 4 (48 week program) or CLB 5+ (32 week program) and Mathematical Skills Grade 3+
This is an excellent program for those who have completed ESL and/or have reached satisfactory levels of LINC study.
- 32 or 48 weeks
- Get Academic Upgrading in Essential Skills English, Math and Computers (48 week program only).
- Study occupation specific modules
- Get training in:
- Occupation Specific Vocabulary
- Workplace Language, Culture and Communications
- Customer Service
- Work Strategies
- Work experience placement – up to 5 weeks
- Job placement support from an Employment Specialist/Job Coach.
- Get Certificates in:
- Child Development Assistant (formerly Level One)
- Standard Child Care First Aid CPR/AED Level B
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
Click Here to see a list of Faculty Members for this course.
For a full list of courses, please click here.
Tutoring is available for students. If you require tutoring, please contact your Program Manager or designate.
Tuition Fees and General Fees
Full-Time Enrollment Costs
This program is funded by Alberta Human Services. Students may be eligible to receive financial assistance. Please contact the College at 403-235-9300 for further details. For more information about tuition and the Columbia College Tuition chart, please see the Tuition and Fees page.
January, May, and September
- Apply for admission by filling out an application form. The form may be submitted in person, by email, fax, mail, or apply online. Please see Admissions for more details.
- An Admissions Advisor will contact you once your application has been received.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be awarded a Child Development Assistant (formerly Level 1) from Alberta Human Services and a Columbia College Child Care Assistant Certificate (must achieve minimum course requirement of 70% or higher in each course). All graduates will also be invited to attend the College Convocation ceremony.
For more information…
For more information, please Contact Us…
Apply Now for your program of choice.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self