Employment Training – Health Care Aide
Compare your Experience
Click here to learn more about how your experience at Columbia College would be different from most post secondary institutions.
This program is for individuals who wish to work as a Health Care Aide. Health Care Aides work on a variety of nursing units, in acute care hospitals, long-term care settings such as nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals and in the community providing home care. Examples of the care given to patients in all care settings include: assistance with bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, lifting and transferring,
taking vital signs such as blood pressure and assisting with psychosocial needs. Health Care Aides must be able to work shifts and weekends, be on their feet for long period of time, and be in good health as the job requires using your knees, back and arms to move clients who may not have much body strength. You will provide personal care to both men and women and will need to wear a uniform that has short sleeves.
Some examples of jobs include: Health Care Aide, Home Support Worker, Nursing Assistant, Personal Care Attendant, Residential Aide, Caregiver, Geriatric Health Aide.
Health Care Aides Earn: $14.00 – $21.00 per hour to start.
CLB 5 (48 week program) or CLB 6+ (32 week program)
This is an excellent program for those who have completed ESL and/or have reached satisfactory levels of LINC study.
This is a 32 week or 48 week program.
- Get Academic Upgrading in Essential Skills English, Math, and Computers (48 week program only).
- Study occupation specific modules to prepare you for work experience
- Get training in:
- Occupation Specific Vocabulary
- Workplace language, Culture and Communications
- Customer Service
- Work Strategies
- Work experience placement – up to 6 weeks
- Job placement support from Practicum Supervisor.
- Certificates in:
- Dementia Care, Falls Prevention, Goals of Care, Pet Therapy, Palliative Care, Dealing with Conflict, CPR (Heart and Stroke BLS), The Alzheimer’s Society of Calgary “Best Friends Approach”, Alberta Health Services Food Safety, and WHMIS
The facilitator to student ratio is 1:12 in the classroom. At practicum, the facilitator to student ratio is 1:8. This allows our students to get help when they need it.
Click Here to see a list of Faculty Members for this course.
Course List and Descriptions
For a full course list and descriptions for the Employment Training Department programs, please click here.
Tuition Fees and General Fees
Full-Time Enrollment Costs
This program is funded by Alberta Human Services. Students may be eligible to receive financial assistance to attend full-time. Please contact the Student Admission Advisor at 403-235-9300 for further details. For more information about tuition and the Columbia College Tuition chart, please see the Tuition and Fees page.
- Apply for admission by filling out an application form. The form may be submitted by email, fax, mail, or apply online. Please see Admissions for more details.
- An Admissions Advisor will contact you with the necessary information.
Once the program is successfully completed, students will receive a Columbia College/Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Certificate. All graduates will be invited to attend the College Convocation ceremony.
For more information…
For more information, please Contact Us…
Apply Now for your program of choice.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self