Legal Assistant Professional Certificate
As a Legal Assistant, you will have the opportunity to use a variety of software applications to prepare correspondence and legal documents such as wills, contracts, affidavits; maintain records management systems; transcribe correspondence and legal documents; ensure outgoing documents are correct and comply with legal procedures. You may be employed in law offices, the legal department of large organizations, courts, justice departments, real estate companies, insurance companies, and land title offices. The starting salary for a Legal Assistant is up to $66,500 per year.
Opportunities may include but are not limited to the following positions:
- Legal Assistant
- Legal or Litigation Secretary
- Real Estate Law Clerk
Columbia’s History of Success
Columbia College distinguishes itself as one of the most student-centered Colleges in North America (see What is Unique about Columbia). It has also achieved some of the best outcomes of any College in North America (see Columbia’s Outcomes). It is proud that over 90% of its students are employed in their field of training. Its programs have done a good job historically in preparing graduates for employment. It now wants to go from good to great. To accomplish this, it has added several additional features to this program that are not commonly provided by other colleges and universities.
Columbia College designed this Legal Assistant Program with the ongoing assistance of many industry specialists. Among them is a group of seven of Calgary’s most respected staff recruitment companies. These companies represent tens of thousands of employers in this region. Their job is to know exactly what knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours employers are looking for in a wide range of employment positions. This includes legal assistant professionals. With the assistance of selected staff recruitment companies, Columbia College was able to develop a list of the key competencies employers are currently seeking in their legal assistant professionals.
This program focuses only on the most important set of knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviours employers are seeking. As a result, it is actually shorter than most other legal assistant programs available to adult learners. It is also less expensive than most. Students can pay less to enroll, obtain more relevant knowledge, develop a sound professional portfolio, and get employed sooner.
Further Steps in Education Possible
As many of Columbia College’s graduates may wish to advance in their field, Columbia is designing, developing, and preparing to deliver a series of certificates that students will be able to complete on a part-time basis. This will allow our graduates to remain employed full-time and continue with furthering their education by attending weekend or on-line courses.
Are you ready for an exciting new career?
- Complete a Professional Certificate in just a few months. Be out sooner and start earning a salary while others are still attending classes.
- 25 week program; 12 courses.
- The program consists of 5 week semesters. As a full-time student, you will be enrolled in 3 courses at a time for a total of 108 contact hours per semester for the first four semesters. The final semester includes a Saturday class and a 160 hour work experience.
- Area of Specialization: Legal Assistant
- Linking Theory and Practice – An opportunity to apply what you learn in your courses into a real-work setting. You will complete 160 hours of practicum (work experience) in your specialization area.
- Career and employment support.
- Full time or part time options may be available.
The aim of our practicum (work experience) placement is for you to gain experience and employment in your area of specialization. For this course you will be required to complete 160 hours of practicum experience during Semester 5. This provides you with valuable hands-on experience in the field and greatly increases your potential for employment. You will benefit from the relationships Columbia College has built over time for placements where organizations value the maturity of our students and their knowledge and skills.
- Attend Columbia college’s tuition-free College Skills for Success course (20 hours) before the start of your program.
- Successful reading, writing, and math results on a Columbia College Assessment.
- A demonstration of keyboarding skills at 40 words per minute with 70% accuracy.
- A satisfactory demonstration of Basic Computer Operating Skills.
- A clear Police Information Check is required before starting the program.
- An Admission interview to determine suitability for the profession and possibility for success in the program.
Other Admission Considerations
- Do your academic skills need to be upgraded to meet admission entry requirements?
If your academic skills need to be improved in one or more areas, the student may be referred to Columbia College’s Intensive Academic Preparation – College Prep. See Continuing Education – Intensive Academic Preparation – College Prep.
- English Proficiency Requirement
For applicants whose first language is not English, please refer to the English Language Proficiency Requirements section.
- Are you working or have worked in this field?
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) recognizes this non-formal learning, and you may not need to take all the courses in this program. We will assess your experience in determining what courses you need to take to become certified. Read more in the PLAR Guidelines 2016 document.
- Do you have courses to transfer from another college or university?
If you have taken courses at another college or university, these courses may be transferable to this program.
- There are no additional selection requirements. Admission is offered on a first-qualified, first-accepted basis. A waitlist may be established. Columbia College reserves the right to grant or refuse admission to any applicant.
Course List and Descriptions
For a full list of courses and course descriptions for this program, please click here.
Columbia College’s tuition and general fees come into effect August 1 of each year.
For more information about tuition and the Columbia College Tuition chart, please see the Tuition and Fees page.
Refund of Tuition Fees
Please refer to the Student Contract of Tuition form for details of tuition refund policy. This form is available from this program’s Student Admission Advisor.
May 24, 2016
How to Register
For details on applying or reapplying to this program, please refer to the Admissions page.
To graduate from the Legal Assistant Professional program, a student must successfully complete 12 required courses, earn 29 credits, and achieve a minimum overall program grade point average of 2.0
For more information…
For more information, please Contact Us…
Apply Now for your program of choice.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self